America’s Best Dance Crew. Such comedy. So much to discuss. If you’ve never seen it and you enjoy either, hip hop dance or laughable television, get your popcorn ready.
First of all, let’s speak on the state of “Dance” culture. I’m not an expert, more of a cynical observer, but I can’t be the only one with these opinions so I’m going to share.
1) Ummm, most of them are not the shit. Why do the crowds act like it? Every single act, the crowds goes off like it’s an Oprah Show. I get it that much of the crowd are paid extras that couldn’t give a shit but I’ve noticed this at the few dance shows I’ve been gone to live. It’s weird the amount of energy they have.
2) Asians are taking over the world. At least some of the parts of the world formally dominated by black people. They’ve already invaded the street fashion world, (so much for FUBU) They are now trying to take over the Dance game. Of all the “crews” on the show only one is predominantly black [no suprise, they’re from Detriot]. When did all of this happen? At Asia Club viewings of Better Luck Tomorrow? I missed the memo.
3) Just ’cause being a dancer doesn’t automatically make you gay, it does probably make you a douche.
Now, on to the show.
1) – The judges are Lil Mama, JC Chasez and Shane Sparks……………Exactly. While Lil Mama is fairly intelligent and I think has a modicum of respect as a dancer, isn’t this all she’s known for?
– Jc Chasez. He tries weally, weally hard. Too bad there can only be one Justin Timberlake.
– Shane Sparks. Who the fuck is Shane Sparks? At least he does seem to know what he’s talking about.
2) Holy shit! It’s AC Slater!! Hosting a dance show!!! I don’t get it either!!!! Just smile and nod.
3) They do these little featurettes of each crew before they perform “live”. They’re so contrived it’s gross. They make the teams do some really dumb shit in attempt to give the audience some perspective on the creative dance process. It looks like a VH1 confessional.
All the hate I just unleashed on this show are really all the reasons why you should watch it. All elements combined it makes for a pretty entertaining show. Plus, the dancing is pretty good. Don’t say I didn’t tell you so.
EDIT: I really am a huge hater for this post but the show is ridiculous.